Honest Ramblings

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Race Day


The morning began, after a mostly sleepless night due to my nerves and excitement, as a rather dreary looking day. I went about getting ready for the run, eating some breakfast, doing my hair, stretching my legs, lacing up my running shoes.

I pinned my race bib, #631 to my t-shirt. Made sure my iPOD was fully charged. Drank some water. I taped up my foot so as to prevent any blisters from forming. I put on my running shoes and laced them up. I looked at myself in the mirror. I looked like I was ready to run a race! So weird.

After 13 weeks of hard training going from not being able to run at all to heading out the door to run my first 10k I have come a long way!

Once I got to the race start area, I signed in, picked up my running chip to time my run and began to feel REALLY nervous. I saw two of the girls who I knew would be running with me and walked over to them and we began to chat about the race and how excited/nervous we all were. We were a mere 15 minutes away from the race start time. Then the rainy looking sky parted way and the sun began to shine through. What a beautiful day for a run!

Then my darling dearest Darla, my cheer leader, my best friend, and running coercer arrived. Camera in hand, she was ready to cheer us all on and take many, many, many pictures of our achievement.

We were lead in a group stretching exercise, and then all gathered near the starting line to await the starting horn.







HOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNKKKKK!

We were off, and I could feel the adrenalin coursing through my veins. I began to run, keeping at my pace and ignoring the people around me passing me like there was no tomorrow! :) I ran to my music, keeping my breathing in check. Then after only a few minutes of running, I hear my name being called, shrieked really, and I turn and look and it is Darla, driving in her car, hanging out the window shouting and waving at me, taking pictures. Yup, the paparazzi had arrived. She found me on a couple of occasions during the 10k route and took pictures. I will never forget however, when she found me at just past the 1/2 way mark after I had just run up a very loooooooong, granted gradual hill, and shouted at me from her car. She yelled, "Stacey!! I am so proud of you...so so proud!" That is when I realized that she was totally bawling! That's my girl. I continued to run, but found enough extra breath to tell her that I was dying. She smiled at me and encouraged me to keep running, that I was doing amazing! She is such an encouragement to me. So I did, I kept running.



Finally, as I had turned onto the last street and could see the finish line off in the distance, I saw Darla and another runner from the race, Laura jogging towards me. They met me when I was feeling like I wanted to die, I wanted to stop, I wanted to lay down in middle of the road and sleep. They ran beside me the last few meters, encouraging me the whole way. I also remember slowing my pace and wanting to walk for a few seconds and having Darla look at me and yell "KEEP RUNNING!! THERE IS NO WAY YOU ARE WALKING ACROSS THAT FINISH LINE!!" Lol, way to keep me running. And so I did. I kept running and ran across that finish line signaling the completion to my first 10k race. The finish line time read 1hr39mins34secs as I ran across.




After crossing the finish line Darla began bawling again and we stood there, in the finishing chute, crying, sobbing, and hugging. I was given my medal for finishing the race. What an accomplishment!! I, Stacey, just ran a 10k race. Wow! I felt great! Tired, exhausted, sore, but great!!







So there you have it folks! I have now run a 10k race. And I will be running more of them, so stay tuned!


7 Comments:

Blogger Karyn Clemens said...

And so I cry. You are amazing. And just so you know, you've always had great muscles in your legs...your calves are wicked awesome. I'd love to have leg muscles like yours!!

SO PROUD!!

~K~

6:01 PM  
Blogger L&D said...

Atta girl. Now I'm bawling again. Third time's a charm. Aw shucks.

So friggen proud of you. YOu are an inspiration to everyone. Don't EVER forget that.

12:02 PM  
Blogger L&D said...

Oh yes, and your calves ARE amazing. Quite lickable, actually.

SLURP.

12:02 PM  
Blogger coffee-to-go-please said...

Yay stacey! (stumbled across your blog via darla's...!) We look pretty cool with our medals, don't we!!
Run for Water at the end of May? I've registered already!

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Michelle said...

I'm super duper proud of you too! You are amazing! Can't wait to see you and Darla running in the same race sometime in the next few months! :)

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stacey, I just read your version of the story tonight as I am sitting here on a night shift break... and I just smiled again inside and out at how freakin' awesome you are! You must be so proud of yourself...as I had commented on Darla's blog before... I only know you a little bit and have only followed your guys' journey through the blogs... and even I am so proud of you!!! Lorraine and I are doing the Run for Water too... so I guess we'll see you there! Thanks for sharing your story of the your first race! --Much cheering, Amber

4:01 AM  
Blogger L&D said...

Um, i know there is something else you could be blogging about now. Like a new house persay?!

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home