Honest Ramblings

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Summer Vacation Part II

Here is the second installment of my summer vacation adventures.

This summer I also volunteered my time to Girl Guides once again. I spent 12 days helping at a large international Guide camp in Parksville B.C. This camp, called SOAR (Spirit Of Adventure Rendezvous), happens every three years somewhere in B.C. My good friend Heather and I have attended every single SOAR together since it's beginning in 1995. We attended a couple years as girl campers, and the last few as leaders and core staff. There were about 2,500 girl guide members in attendance at this camp from all over the world! We had girls from Honduras, Mexico, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, the US, the Dominica, Japan, Thailand, and of course Canada.

I spent my 12 days living in a tent and sleeping on a luxurious queen air bed with my good friend Heather.

My main reason to be there was to help as part of the hospital team. We were there to provide first aid and nursing care to any injured.

Here is where I spent most of my time. In this large tent. AKA "The Hospital"
They even let me drive the golf carts!! Weeee! :)

Here I am hard at work at "the hospital" with some fellow co-workers.
Nice hats eh??

I didn't have to work the entire time I was there. And despite the many days of torrential rain, I was able to spend some time with some old and new friends doing fun activities. I laughed a lot. The girls are able to chose different activities to do daily on and off site. There were so many options from science, arts and crafts, service projects, drama, mountain biking, kayaking, caving, bus trips, hikes, learning to shoot rifles, and much much more.


I spent a lot of time the first few days wearing this lovely little number.
Good 'ol blue poncho!


My new friend Aline, who was at camp to take pictures for us all. Here she is attempting to keep her camera dry during a particularly rainy event.


During the first few days of camp, I spent time with Heather helping her prepare for her part of camp. She was working as part of the science section and was building giant catapults. We had to build a proto type. Too much fun!

Here is our giant tri-pod catapult!


Heather and I also were able to help out during an activity day at camp. The activity we helped with was with fire fighters! :) No complaints there! They had an activity like a relay race using their fire hoses and cones etc. They even let Heather try on their gear.


Here are Heather, Aline, and Rachel, who is from england. I met Aline and Rachel at camp. They were tons of fun to hang out with!

Aline and Heather having fun with glow sticks at the closing ceremonies.


The 4 of us that spent the entire camp together. So many fun memories made!!

That concludes my account of my summer vacations. Despite my crazy work schedule, I am glad that I could make the time to get away and have a great time. Even at guide camp!

1 Comments:

Blogger L&D said...

You have NEVER looked sexier than in that picture where you're wearing the blue tarp. That's all I got to say.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home