Honest Ramblings

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Winterpeg: Day 1



Well here is the first installment of the chronicling of my whirl wind Winterpeg adventure. It started off with a short flight to Calgary. The flight went well and I arrived in Calgary with 25 mins to get to the other end of the terminal and board my flight to Winnipeg. I made it. No worries. I even had 3 mins to spair!!

When I arrived in Winterpeg it was a balmy -22 degrees outside (even colder with wind chill). Let me explain to you as graphically as I can what that kind of cold feels like to someone who is not used to it.

I took one breath and my stuffy nose froze shut!! (I woke up with a bit of a head cold this am...nice! I thought my ears were gonna explode on the plane) I am not joking people. Instant freezage. I then wrapped my scarf around my face and attempted not to panic that I now couldn't breath out of my nose at all because of the icicles forming on the inside!

As the air then reached my lungs I felt as though someone has punched me in the chest with a sledge hammer. Yup, that bad. I am a wimp when it comes to cold so this was not the province for me.

Once I had figured out how to take small shallow breaths through my scarf I did manage to breath without further damaging my alveoli! :)

Then I arrived at the Fairmont and checked into my room. Pretty nice...pictures to come later. I spent the next few hours registering and wandering around the hotel and then I went and had some dinner at the lounge in the lobby.

8pm, my room mate Laura arrived. I think we are gonna get along just fine! We have a lot in common and have spent the evening chatting and giggling and telling both our strange stories of how we ended up here at this random conference in Winterpeg. The first question she asked me upon entering the room was: Are you a morning person?? To which I answered, "heck no!!!" And she laughed and exclaimed "Oh thank goodness!!" So yah I think we are well matched.

Anyways, so far day one has been good. REALLY COLD, but good. Laura and I have NO CLUE what the heck we are supposed to be doing here and what we have to attend but we have planned out some shopping spots we wanna hit and such. So I am going to try and make the best of this strange situation and have as much fun as possible!

Until tomorrow, goodnight from Winterpeg, as it is 11pm here!

Current temp is: -28 degrees...brrrrr!! Forecast: -34 degrees over night. Weee!

1 Comments:

Blogger L&D said...

AHAHAHAHHAHAAAA.

So basically what you're trying to say is that you feel like you're having an MI every time you take a breath?

Awesome.

Wish I were there.

Um, ok, not really.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home