Honest Ramblings

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

HSC 312 The Canadian Health Care System: My Nemesis Class

What could be more fun than learning all the ins and outs of our past and present Canadian Health Care System during the summer month of August?


ANYTHING!!!!

I have been back to class since the 22nd of August, just one of the many cruel and unusual punishments thought up by the nursing program. Even more evil than making us go back to school during the summer is making us then sit through a torturous 6 day course on the Canadian Health Care System.

I am not sure that I can even explain to you in words how dry and boring this material is. The instructor is fully aware of this fact and can do little about it. He is the only saving grace, trying to boost interest in this dull course by cracking jokes.

Those who know me well know that I am a fairly patient person who does not lose my cool easily. It is actually quite hard to get me really angry. This class has succeeded in doing just that.

As I sat there in my terribly uncomfortable seat staring out the window at the beautiful sunshine beckoning to me I became agitated. Usually this happens in stages for me. Darla, my good friend, tells me that I usually get a bit fidgety and then I start making snappy comments and then I completely lose all interest in whatever is being said.

Yesterday I skipped all these steps and went strait from agitation to seething anger. We had already written a 60 mark midterm exam that morning and now we were a mere 15 mins away from lunch break and the lecture showed no signs of stopping. The lecture on economics and funding in the health care system was so beyond boring that I had tuned out. I don't like economics one bit, or anything to do with math or numbers really. Then the clock hit 12 noon (lunch time) and he kept talking and flipping through power point slides of pie charts and bar graphs.

I COULD NOT HANDLE THIS! I was literally making angry comments under my breath each and every time he switched another slide. I also sat there shooting the teacher daggers from my eyes willing him to STOP! I thought Darla was gonna lose it. She was laughing at me and my angry state.

When he finally stopped showing us pie charts at about 12:15 he asked, "anyone ready for a break now?" I literally shouted..."UH YES!" before he could finish his sentence and packed up my stuff and marched out of the room. It took me a full 15-20 mins to calm myself down during our lunch break.

I have never felt that type of anger towards a class before. But, I don't appreciate my precious time being wasted on classes that are not going to do anything to further my career in nursing and get me any closer to completing my degree with my sanity intact.

I only have to make it through tomorrow's class and then I am home free except for the final exam on Friday. The end to this useless course cannot come soon enough! Oh Lord, grant me patience!!

10 Comments:

Blogger L&D said...

Ya, that was so funny. You are a closet raging STUDENT too....not just driver. Hahahahaha!

I don't know why you are complaining so much because I seriously LOVE this course. I live and breathe for it. I wake up and can't WAIT to sit and watch the endless pie charts and bar graphs whiz by me. I can't get enough of the different levels of freakin' authority. I mean, this is my DREAM class.

So best get on the band wagon of simply loving this class to bits. You know how they say to "be like Mike." Well, just be like me. Because really, I"m way cooler.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Karyn Clemens said...

Seriously SO funny! And...I'm sorry.

~K~

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

STACEY!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! I KNOW YOU CAN!!!!!

7:14 PM  
Blogger L&D said...

I freakin' love this class.

1:37 PM  
Blogger L&D said...

I love this class so much I want to make little miniature baby classes with it.

1:38 PM  
Blogger L&D said...

No, I am NOT procrastinating the inevitable. I'm just lonely.

1:38 PM  
Blogger L&D said...

I'm considering waxing my armpit hair. But the problem is that I just shaved them. Ya, it could get ugly.

I love what this class is doing to me.

1:39 PM  
Blogger L&D said...

There is nothing more fantastic than THIS course.

1:40 PM  
Blogger L&D said...

In fact, it's so fantastic I think I'll become the CEO of some god-forsaken company. I'm inspired! I'll lead the masses into a dark abyss of dysfunctional healthcare! YAY for me!

1:41 PM  
Blogger L&D said...

Wanna streak?

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home